Summer’s Smartest Sweets
The summer heat can be oppressive, and with the kids out of school, there’s a strong temptation to turn the whole vacation into one long ice cream party. Unfortunately, that’s not the best for your weight, your health, or your kids. No worries! Here are some sweet treats that are delicious and cool, but won’t bust your caloric budget.
- Fresh fruit is at its sweetest in the summer time. Melons and peaches, grapes, strawberries, and blueberries…the list goes on! The beauty of fruit is the way it slakes your thirst while fulfilling your need for something sweet. It can get messy, but nothing says summer like children eating watermelon in their swimsuits in the back yard.
- Craving something frozen? Frozen grapes are a cool treat. You can also make your own popsicles, like these Blueberry Vanilla Yogurt Pops or these Sublime Strawberry Popsicles.
- A fruit whip is a time honored ice cream substitute. Have you ever had the Dole Whip at Disney? Dairy free, but with a creamy consistency like soft serve ice cream, and the thirst quenching sweetness of fresh pineapple, it’s a perennial favorite. Try this recipe for Pineapple Whip, or this one for Fruit Whip, for some homemade alternatives.
- A Pavlova is a refreshing alternative to fruit pies and cakes. To make this gorgeous meringue based dessert, all you need is some egg whites, some sugar- (you can adjust it to taste), some heavy cream, and tons of your favorite fresh fruit. It’s not only melt-in-your-mouth delicious, it also looks good enough to be a real show stopper.
- A smoothie is quick, easy, delicious, and utterly customizable. All you really need is a good blender! If you’re lacking inspiration, try this Orange Creamsicle Smoothie, or this Chocolate Strawberry Banana Smoothie.
A healthy diet is not about deprivation, it’s about balance. At our clinic, we believe the same is true of a healthy lifestyle. We strive to help our patients find that balance, in order to set them on the path to optimal health and wellness. To learn about how we can help you achieve a higher quality of life, call today for your free consultation.