The winter weather seems especially harsh this time of year, when storms are blowing through, there are no family holidays to warm our hearts, and spring is so close we can almost taste it. The temptation, when the weather outside is frightful, is to tuck back under our cozy covers and dream of sunny beaches. Unfortunately, you don’t get ready for beach season by letting your body go soft! Here are some tips for keeping your activity level high, even when the weather’s got you feeling low.
- Try something new! Winter is the perfect time to take that exercise course you’ve been curious about. Whether it’s Salsa dancing, Zumba, or Pilates, you can stay warm and dry while doing something to benefit your health.
- Focus on restorative motion. Yoga and tai chi are examples of gentle activities that can increase your flexibility, build your strength, and help you relax while also refreshing your energy and improving your stamina. During the winter, when your energy is flagging and your immune system is diminished, taking time for these kinds of activities can help build you up and keep you healthy.
- Find your inspiration. What moves your heart can also move your body! Find volunteer opportunities that motivate you to get out and help others, and you’ll find that you can overcome your own inertia.
- Make every activity count. Stuck in the house? Get a jump on spring cleaning, and do it with good posture and energy to make the most of the activity; housework can burn 200 calories an hour. Need to go to the mall? Take some time to walk around the mall space briskly, and you’ll burn over 100 calories in 30 minutes.
- Make the most of indoor resources. Is there an indoor pool near you? Swim laps or take a water-aerobics class, and you’ll be surprised how much enjoying the water can energize you. If you don’t have access to a gym or pool, invest in an exercise DVD or some simple exercise equipment, and get your exercise right in your own living room.
Exercise is an important key to staying in shape, and it’s also a vital part of a healthy lifestyle. When you make a point to stay active, you’re doing more than controlling your weight and building your muscles; exercise can improve your mood, boost your energy, and even help prevent certain illnesses. At our clinic, we work with our patients to help them pursue a healthy lifestyle that will improve their overall health and set them on the path to optimum wellness. To see how we can help you boost your quality of life, call for your free consultation today.