Ah, fall! That crisp air, the changing leaves, and a chance to break out your sweaters makes everything seem fresher somehow. One of the greatest things about fall? It’s the season for comfort food. Warm and creamy soups, hearty stews, delicious fruit pies—what’s not to love? This fall, celebrate the year’s autumn harvest with some recipes that make the most of the season’s bounty, while nourishing your body, too.
It’s easy to reap the health benefits of seasonal vegetables in the fall. Squash is rich in vitamin A and vitamin C, which can boost your metabolism as well as helping to fight off illnesses. Pumpkins, while high in sugar, make up for their high carbs with their amazing nutritional properties: they’re full of vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, niacin, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Mushrooms are a great source of vitamin C, iron, potassium, and zinc, and have no cholesterol, while peppers provide antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients, and tomatoes bring an amazing array of vitamins and minerals to your table. Apples are full of fiber and vitamin C and figs pack fiber, vitamin B6, and minerals like potassium and manganese.
- Try these two savory squash dishes to make the most of the tastes of the season.
- Curried butternut squash soup has all the benefits of squash, with the flavor of curry, which has been shown to help with things like cancer and Alzheimer’s prevention, lowering cholesterol, and the removal of heavy metals from the bloodstream.
- Roasted Acorn Squash with Mushrooms, Peppers and Goat Cheese is an adventurous, hearty and nutritious meal that really makes the most of seasonal veggies.
- Delicious pumpkin date muffins are a healthy treat that’s easy to take along with you.
- Pack your pasta with nutrients, with this recipe for Farfalle with Grilled Fall Vegetables.
- For an apple dessert without all the fat of apple pie, try this Old Fashioned Apple Nut Crisp.
- Pair heart healthy dark chocolate with delicious, nutritious figs, for Chocolate Covered Figs.
Good nutrition is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. At our clinic, we offer nutritional counseling, along with holistic healing therapies, as part of an integrated approach to wellness, dedicated to setting people on the paths to their best lives. Call today for your free consultation, and to see how we can help you reach your wellness goals.