Pregnancy transforms a woman’s body, and it is not unusual for pregnant women to experience varying aches and pains throughout the three trimesters. Some of the more common physical conditions women encounter are low back pain, hip pain, headaches, and soft tissue soreness.
During the first trimester, it is not uncommon for pregnant women to experience headaches, most often caused by fluctuations in hormones. The second trimester can cause discomfort to the body’s soft tissues as the expectant mother’s ligaments stretch to make room for the baby’s growth.
Most often, it is toward the end of the second trimester and in to the third that women experience low back pain. As the hips shift and widen in preparation for birth and as the curvature of the spine becomes more pronounced (due to the added weight on the front of a pregnant woman), this spinal misalignment causes pain and discomfort. This misalignment can also create tension headaches and pinched nerves.
Recent studies show that:
- More than 50% of women have low back pain during pregnancy;
- and, 10% of women with chronic low back pain report that their pain began during pregnancy.
At our clinic:
- We are specialists in caring for women during pregnancy;
- and, we are adept are treating low back pain. Low back pain can negatively affect a women during delivery, and can impede a woman’s ability to heal after delivery.
What we can do:
- Provide safe, effective physical medicine treatments from the first trimester through the third. (Our treatments are both preventative—to help a woman avoid painful symptoms—and reactionary—in the event the symptoms are already present.)
- Help prepare your body for a successful vaginal delivery.
Treatments we may use include:
- Gentle massage so relieved pinched nerves and ease muscle strain
- Physical therapy exercises to stretch and strengthen soft tissues
- Foot orthotics, to assist with spinal alignment
- Light spinal manipulations
We are the leaders in physical medicine pregnancy care in our area. For specialized, gentle, safe techniques to alleviate your painful pregnancy symptoms, contact our office today for a FREE consultation.